History of SVCR

Sri VarraChenna Reddy Govt. Degree College, Palamaner, Chittoor district, A.P., was established on 12-9-1983 to the needs of drought prone and backward western mandals of the district. A degree college at Palamaner was a dream comes true to the people of this area during 1983. The sustained efforts of public of Palamaner and a liberal donation of Rupees 1.5 Lakhs Sri. VarraChenna Reddy, a local philanthropist after whom the college was named, the college had a humble beginning with just 170 students in B.A and B.Com courses.

Subsequently, the much needed science courses were started in the year 1997 with ceaseless efforts of Sri. C. Srinivasarao, the principal of the college. The present strength is 1059 including 338 girls on the rolls.

The college was accommodated in the premises of Govt. Junior college campus till the academic year 2004-05, there after moved into its own building since June, 2005. It was ceaseless efforts of Dr. P.Subbaiah ,then MLA and ex. Minister and other local leaders that 10 Acres of land was allotted out of the junior college to construct separate buildings for the degree college.

B.A Urdu medium was started in 2004-05 to cater to the needs of Muslim Minorities of this area. Apart from conventional courses the college has started B.Sc( M.P.Cs ) and B.Com( Computer Applications) Courses during 2006-07.In addition to the curricular aspects ,much importance has always been given to the co-curricular and extra- curricular programmes ,extension activities that go a long way in helping all round development of the personality of the young learners.